PARIS — Renault has suspended production at one of its French factories, following a court order criticizing the way the automaker told unions about its increased protective measures put in place to prevent the new coronavirus from spreading.

Partial activity had resumed at the automaker’s Sandouville plant at the end of last month after a six-week standstill due to the disease.

“All activity in the site of Sandouville has stopped as of May 7 and this will last until further notice,” a Renault spokeswoman said, confirming an earlier AFP report.

Renault will appeal the judicial decision, the spokeswoman said.

The court order follows a case brought to court by the local CGT union section.

The Sandouville site builds the Renault Trafic van, along with rebadged versions sold as the Nissan NV300 and Fiat Talento.  Renault will add production of a Mitsubishi-branded version to be exported to Australia and New Zealand.

The factory has a workforce of 1,900.